Marlin swim AKA ‘The Mexican sardine run’
Just a 5-hour drive from Cabo San Lucas, the ocean’s pelagic predator creates one of this planet’s most breathtaking shows. As the striped marlin are hunting, they dart towards the surface to push the sardines to shallow water, this gives us the opportunity to snorkel and free dive with these huge bait balls of sardines while the marlin zoom in and out of the school of fish flashing their beautiful colors.
What can we see??
Thousands of frigate birds that join the feast, hundreds of striped marlin, numerous sea lions, sailfish, orcas and the whales who pick off the scraps.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip and our highly experienced guide’s priority is safety and ensuring you have a wonderful experience.
The striped marlin is usually too fast and difficult to see under the water, you will have the chance to take outstanding photos in the circus of pelagic animals that join the sardine buffet.
October/November beginning from your hotel and the action happens off the wild coastline of the Baja California Peninsula in the Pacific Ocean.
You will be collected from your accommodation in Cabo San Lucas, San Jose or La Paz in an air-conditioned vehicle. From here we will drive North for around 5 hours. You have the opportunity to stop along the way to see the cactus-filled deserts of Baja, local famous restaurants and towns or beaches.
On arrival to Magdelena bay, we will check into our hotel and enjoy a typical Mexican dinner in a quiet town away from city life and tourism.
6.30 am is wake-up and coffee time before we head to the boat. Boat departure is at 7 am, your captain will take you to get to the mouth of the port where our talented guides search for the bait ball in question. You have from 7am-4pm to swim alongside the wonderful striped marlin and other pelagic guests that choose to join you.
At the end of the day and you are ready we will head back to the port, and make our way back in the air-conditioned transportation where you will be taken back to your accommodation.
If you would like 2 days in the water, you have the option to stay longer. This will increase your chances of seeing a lot of action.
- Each trip accommodates up to 5 people, this allows a personal service for your trip. You will also be able to enjoy as much time in the water with the marine life as possible.
- Please note we do reserve private charters, please let us know the dates that would suit you.
- Trips take 1 day to travel there and one day back with the additional days you would like to spend on the water. We also offer combo trips where you can do a multi-day trip snorkeling with sea lions, whale sharks, mobula dive, and the marlin swim.
- You can decide if you want 1, 2 or 3 days in the water.
|2021 Schedule||2021 Schedule||2021 Schedule|
|22-25 September-Sold out||16-19 October Sealion/marlin combo||10-13 November|
|27-30 September-Sold out||21-24 October||15-20 November|
|22-25 No 2-5 October||26-28 October sealion/ marlin combo||22-25 November|
|27-30 November7-10 October||30 October-2 November||27-30 November|
|12-14 October||4-8 November||2-5 December-Sold out|
- Your guide with you from your hotel throughout the trip
- Return air-conditioned transportation from San Jose, Cabo San Lucas or La Paz
- The option to stop and see some of the Baja along the way
- Accommodation in a local hotel double occupancy (additional $100US per person per private room)
- Light breakfast on in-water days, lunch, water, and soft drinks on the boat
- Snorkeling from a boat looking for striped marlin and any other pelagic life we see along the way
- Photos and videos of the trip
What to bring:
- Layers and a heavy jacket for wind on the boat ride
- Fins, mask and snorkel, 3 or 5 mm wetsuit. Rental is optional.
- Cameras and go pros
- Bio-degradable sunscreen
- Seasickness tablets if needed
- Cash for gratuity for the crew (10-15% of trip is customary) and for dinners at restaurants and alcoholic drinks
1 day in water marlin swim excursion-2 days total
2 day in water marlin swim excursion-4 days total
As this is an excursion in the ocean looking for wild animals, of course nothing is guaranteed. However, this parade of pelagics are all feeding on tiny sardines which gives you the chance to get close to the action and watch this array of wildlife work together.
- Be able to swim to a good level
- Be in good physical condition
- Be at least 13 years old and with an adult if under 18
- Signing waiver of responsibility
- Ability to handle long periods on a boat
Striped marlins are classed as near threatened according to the IUCN Red List so this excursion provides the opportunity to swim with striped marlin and enjoy their beauty in the water rather than a result of sport fishing or commercial fishing.
Our priority is your safety. You will receive a full safety briefing on the boat before you swim so you understand the behavior of the animals and how to experience the best encounter. Your group will be lead by a skilled and experienced guide with a strong aquatic ability to allow you to get the most from the experience. This trip is for beginners as well as professionals, you do not need experience however you do need to have good swimming ability and a good level of fitness.