Every autumn giant bait balls congregate off the shores of Magdalena bay, imagine swimming alongside schools of striped marlin, bait balls of sardines, and sea lions at the same time with the chance of seeing whales and orcas…you can be there.
Just a 5 hours drive from Cabo San Lucas the ocean’s pelagic predator, creates one of this planet’s most breathtaking shows. As the striped marlin are hunting, they dart towards the surface to push the sardines to shallow water, this gives us the opportunity to snorkel and free dive with these huge bait balls of sardines while the marlin zoom in and out of the school of fish flashing their beautiful colors. Thousands of frigate birds join in the feast from the surface and numerous sea lions, sailfish, orcas and whales pick off the scraps.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip and our highly experienced guide’s priority is safety and ensuring you have a wonderful experience.
The average visibility is 90 ft/27 m so you can take this unique opportunity to get face to face with the striped marlin in their natural environment. This fish is usually too fast and difficult to see under the water, you will have the chance to take outstanding photos in the circus of pelagic animals that join the sardine buffet. This is a wildlife experience you can enjoy for the entire day, and remember for life.
October/November beginning from your hotel and the action happens off the wild coastline of the Baja California Peninsula in the Pacific Ocean.
You will be collected from your accommodation in Cabo San Lucas, San Jose or La Paz in an air-conditioned vehicle. From here we will drive North for around 5-6 hours, we give you the opportunity to be flexible and see more of the wonderful Baja as you will have the opportunity to stop along the way to see the cactus-filled deserts of Baja, local famous restaurants or beaches.
On arrival to Magdelena bay, we will check into our hotel and enjoy a typical Mexican dinner in a quiet town away from city life and tourism.
7 am is wake up and breakfast before we head to the boat. Our captain will take us to get to the mouth of the port where our talented and experienced guides and captains search for the bait ball in question. You will be advised when to enter the water and your guide will lead you to the area of the action so you can swim alongside the wonderful striped marlin and other pelagic guests that choose to join you.
When it gets closer to the end of the day and you are ready we will head back to the port, and make our way back in the air-conditioned transportation where you will be taken to the door of your hotel in La Paz, Cabo or San Jose.
- Each trip accommodates up to 4 people, this allows a personal service for your trip. You will also be able to enjoy as much time in the water with the marine life as possible.
- Please note we do reserve private charters, please let us know the dates that would suit you.
- Trips take 1 day to travel there and one day back with the additional days you would like to spend on the water. We also offer combo trips where you can do a multi-day trip snorkeling with sea lions, whale sharks, mobula dive, and the marlin swim.
- You can decide if you want 1, 2 or 3 days in the water watching this amazing show. Check out the Schedule below.
|2021 Schedule||2021 Schedule||2021 Schedule|
|22-25 September-Sold out||16-19 October Sealion/marlin combo||10-13 November|
|27-30 September-Sold out||21-24 October||15-20 November|
|22-25 No 2-5 October||26-28 October sealion/ marlin combo||22-25 November|
|27-30 November7-10 October||30 October-2 November||27-30 November|
|12-14 October||4-8 November||2-5 December-Sold out|
- Your guide with you from your hotel throughout the trip
- Return air-conditioned transportation from San Jose, Cabo San Lucas or La Paz
- The option to stop and see some of the Baja along the way
- Accommodation in a local hotel double occupancy (additional $100US per person per private room)
- Light breakfast on in-water days, lunch, water, and soft drinks on the boat
- Snorkeling from a boat looking for striped marlin and any other pelagic life we see along the way
- Photos and videos of the trip
What to bring:
- Layers and a heavy jacket for wind on the boat ride
- Fins, mask and snorkel, 3 or 5 mm wetsuit. Rental is optional.
- Cameras and go pros
- Bio-degradable sunscreen
- Seasickness tablets if needed
- Cash for gratuity for the crew (10-15% of trip is customary) and for dinners at restaurants and alcoholic drinks
- Mask, fins and snorkel, weights, weight belt (possible to rent)
1 day in water marlin swim excursion-2 days total, 1 day in water
2 day in water marlin swim excursion-4 days total, 2 days in the water
$100,- for a private guide.
$100,- for a pro photographer on tour.
Private charters are available for $1000 per boat.
Contact us so that we can discuss available options or a custom trip for you. We can make a package, change dates and arrange specific meals for the trip.
As this is an excursion in the ocean looking for wild animals, of course nothing is guaranteed. However, this parade of pelagics are all feeding on tiny sardines which gives you the chance to get close to the action and watch this array of wildlife work together.
- Be able to swim to a good level
- Be in good physical condition
- Be at least 13 years old and with an adult if under 18
- Signing waiver of responsibility
- Ability to handle long periods on a boat
Striped marlins are classed as near threatened according to the IUCN Red List so this excursion provides the opportunity to swim with striped marlin and enjoy their beauty in the water rather than a result of sport fishing or commercial fishing.
Our priority is your safety. You will receive a full safety briefing on the boat before you swim so you understand the behavior of the animals and how to experience the best encounter. Your group will be lead by a skilled and experienced guide with a strong aquatic ability to allow you to get the most from the experience. This trip is for beginners as well as professionals, you do not need experience however you do need to have good swimming ability and a good level of fitness.