Marlin swim AKA ‘The Mexican sardine run’
Just a 5-hour drive from Cabo San Lucas, the ocean’s pelagic predator creates one of this planet’s most breathtaking shows. As the striped marlin are hunting, they dart towards the surface to push the sardines to shallow water, this gives us the opportunity to snorkel and free dive with these huge bait balls with striped marlin, dorado and sea lions. You also have the chance to see super schools of mobula rays, pods of dolphins, and over 4 different types of whales and orcas all in the same area.
You will have the chance to take outstanding photos in the circus of pelagic animals that join the sardine buffet. If you do not have a camera we will share our videos with you as a souvenir.
Included in the price is round trip transportation in an airconditioned vehicle, you will be collected from your hotel, if you would like to drive your own vehicle, please let us know.
You will be collected from your accommodation in Cabo San Lucas, San Jose, or La Paz in an air-conditioned vehicle. From here we will drive North for around 5 hours. You have the opportunity to stop along the way to see the cactus-filled deserts of Baja, local famous restaurants, Belandra beach, you can even swim with whale sharks or sea lions, email us for more info about our combo trips.
On arrival to Magdelena bay, we will check into our hotel and enjoy a typical Mexican dinner in a quiet town away from city life.
Your marlin swim excursions will begin at 6.00am, It takes approximately 1 hour to reach the mouth mag bay. Along the way, you will have the chance to enjoy the beautiful sunrise and eat breakfast before the action begins. The search for wonderful marine life will happen in the open pacific ocean. You have the opportunity to stay out from 6 am-5 pm, this will give you the chance to see a variety of marine life. You will be provided with breakfast and lunch on the boat. At the end of the day, you will be brought back to your hotel where you can enjoy a warm shower and a delicious dinner.
If you would like 2 days in the water, you have the option to stay longer. This will increase your chances of seeing a lot of action. Let us know how many additional water days you would like.
- Each trip accommodates up to 6 people, this allows a more personal service from your guide charters can add additional guests on request.
- You will be able to enjoy as much time in the water with the marine life as possible.
- Please note we do reserve private charters, please let us know the dates that would suit you.
- Trips take 1 day to travel there and one day back with the additional days you would like to spend on the water.
- We offer combo trips where you can enjoy snorkeling with sea lions, whale sharks, mobula night dive in addition to the marlin swim.
- You can decide how many days you would like in the water.
|2022 Schedule||2022 Schedule||2023 Schedule|
|16-19 October Sealion/marlin combo||10-13 November||2-5 December Marlin and whale shark|
|21-24 October Marlin||15-20 November||6-10 December Marlin|
|26-28 October sealion/ marlin combo||20-23 November||11-15 December Marlin|
|30 October-2 November||27-30 November Marlin and whale shark||16-20 December Marlin|
|4-8 November||21-25 December Marlin|
- Air-conditioned transportation from San Jose, Cabo San Lucas or La Paz
- The option to stop and see some of the Baja along the way
- Accommodation in a local hotel double occupancy (additional $50US per person per private room)
- Light breakfast on in-water days, lunch, water, and soft drinks on the boat
- Snorkeling from a boat looking for striped marlin and any other pelagic life we see along the way
- Photos and videos of the trip
What to bring:
- Layers and a heavy jacket for wind on the boat ride
- Fins, mask and snorkel, 3 or 5 mm wetsuit. Rental is optional.
- Cameras and go pros
- Bio-degradable sunscreen
- Seasickness tablets if needed
- Cash for gratuity for the crew (10-15% of the trip is customary) and for dinners at restaurants and alcoholic drinks
Striped marlins are classed as near threatened according to the IUCN Red List so this excursion provides the opportunity to swim with striped marlin and enjoy their beauty in the water rather than a result of sport fishing or commercial fishing.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip and our highly experienced guide’s priority is safety and ensuring you have a wonderful experience. You will receive a full safety briefing on the boat before you swim so you understand the behavior of the animals and how to experience the best encounter. Your group will be led by a skilled and experienced guide with a strong aquatic ability to allow you to get the most from the experience. This trip is for beginners as well as professionals, you do not need experience however you do need to have good swimming ability and a good level of fitness.
- Be able to swim to a good level
- Be in good physical condition
- Be at least 13 years old and with an adult if under 18
- Signing waiver of responsibility
- Ability to handle long periods on a boat
Mangroves and more
If you would like to explore the area of Mag bay and see the treasures of the Mangroves, Kelp fields, spot sea lions, whales and mobula ray as well as explore the sand dunes this is the trip for you. This is a relaxing journey both on the island on the sand dunes and by boat in the mangroves exploring mag bays magic closer to shore. If there are members of your group that enjoy a relaxing adventure this is the trip. This trip gives your party the opportunity to stay in the same wonderful town, and do different activities in the daytime and meet up at night time to talk about the wonderful adventure had by all.